segunda-feira, 28 de fevereiro de 2011

The Oscars

I don't think I ever mentioned this, but I really enjoy watching the Academy Awards. Some may say Hollywood has built a solid track record of putting out garbage year after year, which I agree with. Others may say if this or that movie takes home more Oscars will not really change your life, but I'm not in it for a life-changing experience. I just dig watching the genuine happiness of people reaching what could arguably be the pinnacle of their careers through peer recognition (peer recognition rocks, baby!). OK you may not get voted just because of sheer talent, but you can't deny there's some recognition there. Anyway, that's I go for. C'mon, we see so much violence, so much crap on the tube all the time, why not a dose of genuine happiness?
Movies have become a luxury for me, as finding a sitter in my neck of the woods here is next to impossible. Therefore, whenever we have family around, we just run to a theater. I haven't seen many of the movies nominated for best picture. I've seen The Social Network, The Kids Are All right, and True Grit. The latter is very good, but I found the former two utterly boring. I have to say I slept through significant chunks of all three of them. I can't help it. Movie theaters are just the perfect place for a little nap. Ten, fifteen minutes after working through my popcorn and coke, I just doze off. Actually I did just that the very first time I went to the movies with my wife. That was a huge red flag, but she failed to notice it.
And to wrap this up, I don't have much of a fashion sense, but I keep asking me why Nicole Kidman, with her fair hair and skin, year after year insists on wearing a light-colored dress to the Oscars. Can anyone tell her that's a no-no? By the way, if it were up to my, Amy Adams would take home an Oscar every year.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário